Monday, February 12, 2007

Mess and commotion


This is what my life has looked like recently. Chaos, convolution, and brewing tea. Please bear with me.
I have been painting some odd things recently. At last tally, I had roughly 30 unfinished paintings of various sizes. They range from a simple depiction of a broken porthole on a derelict tugboat to fantastic scenes involving a robotic squirrel or a giant millipede/caterpillar (millipillar?). Unfortunately, and despite the ongoing kindness of indulgent friends, I am still being hampered by my lack of computer and software. So until I can rectify the situation, posts will continue to be slow in coming.
Though my immediate goal is to complete the slew of underway paintings, I am bursting at the seams with new and ongoing projects. I'll list a couple of them just to whet your appetite:
-This summer I will be launching a project investigating the surreal space of the historic Beall Greenhouse complex, where my studio is located. The project will involve elements of portraiture, still-life, plein air painting, and good old imaginative elaboration. I'm shooting for some grant money, but well-fed or broke, it's gonna go down.
-For those of you familiar with Jeriphath, I am working on a series of comix that will be emerging presently. The upcoming stories include titles such as 'The Visitor,' 'What do you do with a rusty limousine?,' and 'Death's Valise.'
-On top of all of this, the Ha-Ha Cricket continues to gestate. This large-scale project will involve animation and antiquated machinery. It's a big undertaking, but it is beginning to come together.
So check back for new paintings, shows, and fun new plot twists.