Saturday, February 17, 2007

Queens, New York

These photos come from the apartment of Christopher Reiger, a painter and long-time friend. As you can see, he has a large and growing collection of artwork. What you can't really see is the small menagerie of reptiles that are scattered around beneath the artwork.
Here the painting 'Autohagiography' guards a hallway, just above a reptile cage. Reiger was a natural pick for this painting, since his Hungry Hyaena blog has been one of my favorites since its inception. A boy and his hyaena...

Here one of my Beasties hangs next to a lovely, original Alice Neel. Somehow, my Beasties seem to gravitate towards babies. Weird. Again, note the reptile cage.

This iconographic self-portrait has found good company among masks and taxadermic specimens, which are another favorite of Reiger's. I believe that the drawing above my print is one of Reiger's early works from his years as an undergrad.

Here, my drawing of the Barred Owl hangs next to Reiger's studio. This pen and ink drawing took me two weeks to execute. Towards the end, there was an earthquake. At first I thought the odd movement was simply a symptom the raging hangover that I had. As soon as I realized what was happening, my immediate and only concern was for the safety of my drawing, which I had carelessly left out on my drawing table. Here it hangs with an interesting drawing of Reiger's and some exotic butterflies. In the lower right corner, you can just make out the top of a wonderful SEM image of a mite. We obtained this image from a William & Mary researcher for use with the original Synoddity event. Who needs monsters when you have mites crawling all over you?

One man's trash is another man's treasure-- or at least a decent backdrop for some booze. This decade-old doodle was a cast-off that Reiger saved from the recycle bin. It's funny to think of things like this persisting out in the world. Both Reiger and my friend Dennis Mathews have astutely held on to the cast-offs of their fellow artists. While I wouldn't toot my horn about this one, both Reiger and Mathews now own some great work that was en route to oblivion.

It's great to have the images rolling in, so send me your photos if you have some of my art. Thanks to Christopher Reiger, and a big Hello to Gotham.