Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Woodbridge, VA

These images come from the home of artist Rosemary Luckett. As a child I had the privilege to spend many hours working in Rosemary's studio. At the time her studio was tucked down on the bank of the Occoquan River, a tributary of the Potomac. The river was a constant presence in her studio-- so much so that it often rose up and came inside. After one too many floods, she moved to a lovely studio in the woods, which I openly covet.

I was honored when Rosemary travelled to Richmond to attend the opening of my show, Lost in the Park. I was further honored when she chose to take this painting home. Its name is Valkyrie., and it is based on the image of a friend's daughter at her birthday party. The creature crawling at her feet is a mystery. As mentioned in a previous post, it has reappeared in one of my new paintings.


Valkyrie hangs next to a Ben Luckett (at age 8) drawing of a baseball player stretching at bat and a small Carol Dalton painting collage Kouri III..