Monday, March 17, 2008

Music and Tomfoolery

I'm at home and under the weather, so I thought I'd post a couple of odds and ends just for fun. These images are all digital, though most are reworked from some sort of physical sketch.

This is the poster for the second Hard Candy night at the Showbox SoDo. The organizers wanted the poster to feature a naked man this time. I'd just spent weeks drawing from a plaster bust of Hermes, so I brought in the obvious choice. I based the figure on a conglomeration of two statues of Hermes, one by Praxiteles and one by Giambologna (actually Mercury). I nixed the wings, swapped the rod for a lollipop, and called it a day. Originally he was tossing candy to the crocodiles, but I liked the simplicity and ambiguity of the image without the candy.


It's at this point that I confess that I not only have an imaginary record label, but a whole gaggle of imaginary bands. It's a fun game that I play to keep myself amused and interested. This is the CD art for the debut album of Hermes, a prog rock band from the suburbs of St. Paul, Minnesota. They signed to Pepperhouse last year and are touring with the Null Set, whose third album is due this summer.

I did this T-shirt design on spec for Sixer, a band that actually exists. Evidently, they are the Greatest Rock Band in the World. I used to work with Casey back in Richmond. He asked me to do an image of a guy digging the grave of Rock & Roll. Hey, sure, whatever. I don't think they ever used it, but it was fun to draw.

I sure do hate traffic. Don't you? Someday maybe I'll get shirts made from this design. There's a second image for another part of the shirt. It has a tiny, yellow chick preposterously seated on a mountain bike with a doomful Latin banner. I'd post it, but I never fully rendered it.

That's all from the land of incipient illness. I hope I didn't breathe on you while you were reading this.

5 comments:

Hungry Hyaena said...

Oh, yes...why you remain a friend and hero. Always up to something good. I want the traffic shirt if I ever own a car again...which, sadly, is likely.

Michael McDevitt said...

HH:
I remember you pushin'round town in that beat up Chevy truck. Kinda hard to imagine it now. Personally, it'd be lovely to not have a car, but in all reality, my next car will probably have some serious 'art-hauling' capacity. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to live somewhere where I can get around sans vehicle most of the time... which is certainly not Seattle (yet).

Anonymous said...

Mike,

I love the traffic illustration, and agree that it would make a great shirt. You'd sell mountains of them in DC. ;)

Sean

Michael McDevitt said...

Sean:
Hmm. Perhaps I'll get it together and make it go.

Anonymous said...

i'd sure like to see the album cover for Dirty Diesel's latest release....