Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Grimm Spots

Recently, as you may have noticed, I've been posting odds and ends both recent and old. I'm working feverishly on my upcoming shows and thought this was a nice way to keep the content flowing.
These images are spot illustrations for 'Grimm: An Illustrated Collection,' which was (is?) to be published by the Richmond Illustrators Club. A number of illustrators collaborated to put together a handsome volume of selected Grimm tales. I did illustrations for "The Willow Wren and the Bear" as well as for the back cover. The story is silly, and you should read it.

The Gnat is the spy for the army of winged creatures.

Here, the Bear bows down before the little palace of the willow wren.
Both of these images were executed in Photoshop with a Wacom tablet (my digital weapon of choice). It's amazing what can be done with the graphics tablet. Still, I must confess that I spent great deal of time on my computer fussing unsuccessfully with the faux celtic knot-work, Eventually I threw my hands up and went to my favorite coffee shop. I sat down with a pencil and a cup of coffee and banged it out in 15 minutes. Just goes to show ya what the old #2 can do...

No comments: