Sunday, May 25, 2008

New Digs


My time at Gage is coming to an end. While I hope to continue taking classes and workshops, I will be leaving the Drawing & Painting Atelier in just over a month. As one thing comes to a close, however, something new begins to open. With the arrival of summer, I move into a new studio on the 6th floor of the 619 Western Building in historic Pioneer Square. I'll be sharing the space with Jason Sho Green, a sculptor named Mathew, Ryann Donelly of Schoolyard Heroes, and her mother, Linda.

The space is open, bright, and airy with an entire wall of windows. The floors are beat up hardwood, and everything has an industrial feel. The building is a warren of studios and gallery spaces. It gets a great turn-out every 1st Thursday during the Pioneer Square Gallery Walk. We also have a sound-proof recording booth (structure with door above) that was left to us by the former tenant (a music producer whose name I am supposed to know but can't remember).

My space is next to the windows. It has a great view. I look forward to painting the ivy-choked buildings shown above. The smaller of the two is actually slanting at a remarkable angle.

Here you can see how the camouflage of the wild Sho Green allows it to blend into its native habitat.

So, stand back kids, there's gonna be some art goin' down.

2 comments:

Hungry Hyaena said...

The space looks fantastic, Michael. And those ivy-covered buildings? Uber fantastic.

Michael McDevitt said...

HH:
Yeah, that building is pretty sweet. You can't see it in the photo, but it also has a recessed "roof garden." It's like someone peeled the roof off of a whole bunch of rooms and turned them into a veranda. I am seriously jealous.
I'm looking forward to sitting by the window and painting the city. I start schlepping stuff from Gage today.