Thursday, January 01, 2009

The Old and the New

As you may know, I love it when people send me pictures of my work in its new home. These come from my brother Sean and his wife, Pam.
Here, Samsara hangs on the walls of their new house.  It's a particularly cozy and festive Christmas, as it's the first one for my brand new nephew, Colin.  Birth and rebirth, indeed.
In this photo, you can see Samsara in it's old locale.  It shares the wall with some Ansel Adams prints.  I can't quite remember if the brown water in the fish tank is the result of naturally occurring tannins or of medicine to treat a fungal infection called 'the Ick.'
  
This painting is one of my first "real paintings."  Done in 1994-1995, it depicts our late dog, Loki, sniffing around in the alley between Hanover and Grove in Richmond, VA.  This very alley would later be the centerfold for my book 'Grace,' which was a homage to the alleys and buildings of Richmond.   
This painting, is also an oldie.  Done in 1996, it depicts an oni-esque angel hurling a lightning bolt from the heart of an expressionistic storm.  In this picture it hangs in the original corporate headquarters of Ideas2Image.
This little print belongs to Pam.  It is the endplate from my  series The Spider and the Dog.  It shares this artfully lit shelf with a neat ceramic monster from Argentina and a handmade bowl from somewhere in the chilly north.


It's a little hard to see, but nestled behind keepsakes and curios, a colored pencil Beastie grins. 

Thanks to Sean and Pam for the photos, and 'Happy New Year!' to little Colin.

Again, if you own some of my art, I'd love it if you'd send me your pictures of it in its new home.  Of course, if you don't any of my art, then you should probably buy a piece so that you can send me a picture of it.  Right?

No comments: